Podcast Guest Preparation
Mahalo for agreeing to be a guest on Permastoked! We are so stoked to have you on our Show. Your knowledge and experience are of great value to the podcast and undoubtedly, your presence will enhance the listening experience of the audience.
The Show is a platform for you to chat about your craft, e.g. surfing, SUP, yoga, etc., brand or company, interests, background, how you help people, your inspirations and all the things that get you really stoked. Don't worry, we will do all the work to schedule this and make it as simple as possible around your schedule. Think of it as a coffee date with a friend, not an interview. Once completed, the audio interview will be available free for streaming and download on the Alexa App, iTunes, Apple Podcasts, Deezer, Pandora, Podbean, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn or wherever you get your podcasts. You can also watch the Show on our YouTube Channel.
Click here to learn about the host, Derik Hyatt.
Before we can get started, please take a few moments to carefully read and complete the Podcast Guest Release Form. If approved, we will contact you to schedule a date and time for the interview. Once confirmed, we will email you a calendar invitation with a link to join a Zoom Videoconferencing meeting. Before joining the scheduled Zoom meeting on a computer or mobile device, you can download the free Zoom app from https://zoom.us/download. Otherwise, you will be prompted to download and install Zoom when you click a join link. Depending on your default web browser, you may be prompted to open Zoom.
To record good sounding audio, ensure a strong internet signal and please speak into a microphone and wear headphones if available (even a pair of EarBuds). When connecting to the meeting, be sure to enable both audio and video. Very importantly, have your social links, website, projects and anything else ready to plug. To get prepared for recording, be sure to check out the important recommendations below:
- Get familiar with the Show by listening to previous episodes.
- Familiarize yourself with the host.
- Do not feel restricted. Be spontaneous! Be prepared to add value.
- Use the washroom.
- Hydrate! Get a glass of water to be available during the interview.
- Consider the recording environment and soundproof as much as possible (traffic, fan, pets, significant other, children, etc.)
- Consider posting a "Recording: Do Not Disturb" sign on door to notify others.
- Restart your computer.
- Turn off all computer and phone notifications (Messenger, Skype, Windows, etc.)
- Pause all automatic syncing (Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, etc.)
- Turn off your phone or turn on Silent Mode.
- Minimize all windows except Zoom.
- Ensure you have a strong and clear internet connection.
- Plugin and ensure the correct camera, mic and speakers/headphones are selected before loading software.
- Be on time or early.
- Open Zoom, calendar notification, or email invitation and click the link to join the meeting.
- Stay close to the microphone (2 inches).
- Relax! Be yourself. Have a conversation.
- Don't hold back! Tell stories. Give clear, thoughtful answers and listen authentically. Talk about your content and expound on answers.
- Podcasts are entertaining; be open, honest, present, confident, enthusiastic, memorable, interesting, energetic, authentic and original.
- Connect with the audience. Address listeners directly during the interview. Be compelling and share wisdom.
- No pressure! Take a moment to think before answering a question. Pause if needed. Dead air and errors will be edited out in post-production.
- Try to avoid rambling and using fillers (um, kind of, ahh, like, you know, sort of, etc.)
- Be aware of body sounds. Don't eat, fidget, or type during the interview.
- Have fun!
- Stay connected to call for final words.
- If you have not already done so, please email us photo(s) of yourself, preferably performing your craft, i.e. surfing, etc. and/or portrait style, for promotional purposes. Also, provide your mailing address if you wish to receive free swag.
- Promote the Show! Share with your family, friends, and throughout your networks.
- Share on social media and be sure to tag us in your posts.
- Tell us how we are doing! Write a review.
- Stay connected and stay stoked!